Production #5 is now open for pre-orders!
*Enter CURBSIDE at checkout if you want curbside pick-up*
In the past month, I had been contacted by a handful of clients to make masks for them. At first, I was unsure, but as time has gone on, and I have done more research, I am on board. I know there is evidence for and against, but in more ways than one, I am willing to try the 'for' side of it. The more of us wearing masks, perhaps, the less we will spread Covid-19. I have begun the prototype, and have begun the process of making two production runs that have both sold out. I am now taking orders for the production run #4. I have ordered hepa-filters that I hope will increase effectiveness. The Corona virus is 0.3 microns, and the filters that I have purchased are said to filter down to .3 microns for particles. I am not saying that these will be 100% effective, as no mask is, but from the research, masks that are made of tightly woven cottons that are layered, can be up to approximately between 60% to 70% effective, and with the hepa-filter layer, their effectiveness is increased. All of this being said:
- the masks I will be making will be made in our studio in which I disinfect all high touch surfaces each time I am there, including tables, chairs, machines, door knobs, and tools; and in Lily's sewing studio, where she also disinfects her machines and tools. And of course, we are washing our hands regularily. As well the cSpace builidng has been closed to the the public since March 23, and dissinfectant cleaning happens daily throughout the builidng.
- The masks themselves, will be a variety organic cotton knits and/ or wovens, layered with a pocket to put a filter inside, and a pocket to put a nose removable wire in. I will provide the first filter. The nose wire is not included.
- The Hepa filters are made from new fibreglass free Hepa Vacuum Bag fabric. They are replaceable, but the tricky thing is to find them. I hope to make some extras, material availability provided, and also do a short video tutorial eventually to show how to make them.
- The cost is $17 per mask, to pay for materials & labor. Labour will include myself, my admin assistant, and my wonderful sewer, Lily, who also is low on work as many of us are.
- Sizes are Large (generally suitable for men as I pattern made this one to fit around beards and larger jawlines), Medium, Child (7 yrs to 12 yrs), and Child (3 yrs to 6 yrs)
- When the masks are ready, I will post the prints available to pre-order clients via a private webpage. If you live in Calgary, you will be able to do curbside pick-up or have them mailed. If you live outside of Calgary, they can be mailed. Shipping will vary depending on where you live, and how fast you would like your mask(s)
- Lastly, I want to state that I am not a hepa filter or mask expert or scientist in any terms. I did research that I can share with you if you would like. I am, however, a quality designer and maker, and I do know fibers, so I will use the highest count cottons I have; And, to the best of my ability, I will build the best masks that I can.
- If you'd like to do curbside pick up, enter CURBSIDE at checkout, to negate shipping charges
- After the production order reaches capacity, I will email the group with more information on what happens next in the process, and more detailed info.
- *In order to make sure, a quality product is made, we are getting the first two Production orders made and shipped before this order begins. This order will be in production the end of the week of April 30th, 2020*
Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you in your advance for the support~
To our collective health and efforts in the days to come.
Designer & Founder